The community is invited to take part in a silent walk in Port Macquarie as part of a campaign for change in aged care.
Walkers are encouraged to speak with a placard during the walk to shine the spotlight on the need for aged care policy reform.
The February 20 walk supports a NSW Nurses and Midwives' Association campaign.
The campaign calls for a legal minimum staffing and a mix of skills; transparency and accountability for government funding; mandatory ongoing skills development paid for by the employer; and more government funding linked to direct care and staff wages.
A Port Macquarie aged care worker said the walk would raise community awareness and support to drive change in the aged care sector.
"I would like to be able to sit and hold somebody's hand at the end of life," the aged care worker said.
"We haven't got time to do that.
"Person-centred care is not possible when you are short staffed. We do our best, we try our hardest but it is soul-destroying that we cannot give them more time."
The walk comes ahead of the release of the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety's final report.
The Royal Commission, which will provide a final report by February 26, 2021, is looking at the quality of residential and in-home aged care.
NSW Nurses and Midwives' Association acting general secretary Judith Kiejda said our aged care system had been ignored by governments for too long.
"The Royal Commission has proven how desperate the situation is in aged care," she said.
"Regardless of the outcome, the government can't ignore the need for better staffing and greater transparency around funding."
The silent walk from Westport Park to the Town Green begins at 10am on Saturday, February 20.
Walkers must wear a mask and maintain social distancing.
Supporters are encouraged to bring their own signs.
The Port News contacted the office of Minister for Senior Australians and Aged Care Services Senator Richard Colbeck for comment.
What else is making news?