Port Macquarie firefighters have helped dispose of potentially hazardous material after an incident at Port Macquarie Coles on Thursday, January 9.
A spokesperson from Fire and Rescue NSW Port Macquarie said a truck and a hazmat vehicle responded to a grease trap overflow on Short Street at 6.15pm.
Hazmat vehicles have advanced capabilities in detection of toxic industrial chemicals, volatile substances and chemical warfare agents.
Firefighters used the vehicle's equipment to clean the area and put sand over the spillage.
The spokesperson from Fire and Rescue NSW said it's important for the spillage to be cleaned up to prevent it from spreading into drains and waterways.
Hazardous materials pose a potential threat to the natural environment, if they spill into drains.
The spokesperson said the material was taken away from the area in specialised bins.