TODAY at noon the Australian Electoral Commission’s divisional returning officer declared the Cowper candidates for the upcoming Federal election.
The draw confirmed rumours that former Independent MP Rob Oakeshott would be contesting the seat.
On May 16 this year, a writ was issued by the Governor-General instructing the electoral commissioner to call for nominations for the election of a member for the House of Representatives in the Division of Cowper.
Today’s lineup publicly announced the seven who nominated – they are (in order of the ballot paper):
- Wayne Lawrence – Christian Democratic Party
- Michael Gough – Citizens Electoral Council
- Carol Vernon – The Greens
- Damian Wood – ALP
- Rob Oakeshott – Independent
- Luke Hartsuyker – The Nationals
- Jon Arkan – Independent
The order on the ballot paper was determined by a random draw.