Check out more Matthew Attard photos from Diamond Head here
The 29-year-old surfer who was attacked by a bull shark at Diamond Head on Friday morning has told news media that he'll return to the water despite his ordeal.
Talking to 7News on tonight's bulletin, Luke Allan said he won't hesitate to get back in the water.
"Absolutely, the first chance I get," Mr Allan told 7News.
"I don't know of anyone that's been attacked twice."
The Central Coast is in a stable condition in a Newcastle hospital after the shark attack and he told 7 News he fought the shark off twice.
"I looked down and saw a bull shark having a go at my leg. I felt the pressure under my board and then I felt a big knock underneath.
"I hit him as hard as I could in the nose and then I tried to hit him again with the pointy end of my surfboard."
While Mr Allan told reporters he lost the majority of his index finger on his left hand, he said his leg which had three wounds from the shark';s bite, will make a full recovery.
"I paid the price [losing a finger] but I did the job - he didn't come back for more," Mr Allan said.
Port News reporter, Brie Snare was on the scene on Friday as Mr Allan laid waiting for the Westpac Rescue Helicopter to arrive.
She reported that Senior Constable Chris Rowley, of Laurieton police, said the surfer immediately started punching at the shark’s nose as it attacked him multiple times.
‘‘I don’t know what the right way to turn the attack back on a shark is, but it appears punching it in the nose is a pretty good trick,’’ Mr Rowley said. ‘‘He is a pretty tough rooster.’’
The surfer has lost the tip of his left index finger and severely damaged the tip of his middle finger.
He has a large laceration – rather than a chunk bitten off – on his left thigh, but it missed major arteries.
After the ordeal, the family released a statement:
‘‘His family thanks everyone for their concern and best wishes,’’ it read.
‘‘ ... The family express their grati-tude to all those who assisted at the beach, as well as the emergency personnel who gave such rapid assistance.
‘‘They also thanked staff at the John Hunter Hospital who are caring for their loved one.’’
A shark attack victim has been airlifted from a beach near Laurieton in a serious but stable condition.
The 29-year-old man from the Central Coast, was surfing in the water off Diamond Head in the Crowdy Bay National Park when he was attacked about 10.45am.
He had lost his left index finger and knuckle on another finger as well as receiving a ‘‘significant’’ bite to his right thigh.
It is believed he was on a paddle board when he was attacked by a bull shark.
An Ambulance Service of NSW spokeswoman said the man was bitten on the thigh and hand.
The Forest Beach man was treated at the scene by ambulance paramedics before being airlifted to Newcastle 's John Hunter Hospital shortly after midday.
The Port News has been told the man, camping at Diamond Head with family and friends, was surfing with friends when a pod of dolphins came through the waves. About 10 minutes later, he was attacked.
The shark hit him three times and it is understood he was injured trying to fend off the animal.
He was assisted from the water by friends.
Surf Life Savers and Lifeguards from Port Macquarie and Taree also were at the beach assisting emergency services.
While other swimmers were quick to leave the water following the attack, the Port News understands it is still open to the public.
Earlier this month a mauled dolphin washed up on nearby North Haven Beach, about 10kms further north from the scene of today's attack.
Locals then commented about an increase in shark sightings.