The coffee making gods of the world descended on Port Macquarie for the 12th annual Pentair Everpure Golden Bean Roaster’s competition and conference recently, where coffee experts went head to head in a battle for the best caffeine.
Port Macquarie, the headquarters for Café Culture International, was blessed with the smell of roasted coffee in the air as the industry judged the country’s best in coffee, and organiser Sean Edwards of Café Culture International said he was honoured to bring this global event back to his hometown where the event originated 12 years ago.
“Entries were received from over 200 Australian and New Zealand coffee roasting businesses with 1,402 coffees judged across 10 categories.
“This was a record number of entries and the event still maintains it position as the World’s Largest Coffee Roaster Competition.
“We would like to congratulate all competitors and to all the industry professionals that attended the event and participated in the judging process,” Mr Edwards said.
Kevin Chilvers, director of Café Culture International, said the 12th instalment of the competition was a great event.
“We’re judging coffees from all around Australia and New Zealand. The coffees are across the categories of espresso, milk and filter.
“We had three major award winners along with the category winners and for all the local coffee brewers it was a great opportunity to rub shoulders with some of the best in the business,” Mr Chilvers said.
The overall winner of this year’s competition was ONA Coffee from Canberra, “who entered exceptional coffees in the Espresso, Milk and Filter categories” said the judges.
This year the Franchise/Chain Store overall award was split into large and small categories with Foodco - Jamaica Blue taking out the overall large franchise award whilst the Espresso Room claimed the small franchise award for the second time.
This year’s event combined some interesting educational workshops to a captive audience of roaster’s and associated suppliers.
“We would like to thank all our sponsors and presenters for your tremendous support and engagement throughout the week,” he said.
“We look forward to doing it all again in 2018 in three countries as the event goes Global and including the USA and Europe. Until then #GetRoasted”
- Overall Champion: ONA Coffee
- Overall Runner Up: Zest Specialty Coffee Roasters
- Overall 2nd Runner Up: Coffee Snobs
- Overall Large Franchise Champion: Jamaica Blue
- Overall Small Franchise Champion: Espresso Room
- Espresso: ONA Coffee – Finca Deborah
- Milk Based: Patio Coffee – Ethipiano Sidamo Areka
- Pour Over Filter: Zest Specialty Coffee Roasters – Ethiopian Suke Quto
- Australian/NZ Grown: High Trees Estate – Premium Single Estate Organic
- Organic: The Vertue of the Coffee Drink – Guatemala Renanciamento
- Single Origin: Boston Bean Coffee Company – Odyssey Yirgacheffe Konga
- Decaffeinated:Nats Coffee – Indo Blend Decaf
- Chain Store/Franchise Espresso: White Mojo - Gawain
- Chain Store/Franchise Milk Based : Mantle & Moon – Super Nova 2.0 & Tulip Shi – Tulip Shi Cafe
- Chain Store/Franchise Filter: Roasting Australia – Gloria Jeans Colombia