The council’s general manager and mayor will meet with a representative from Woolworths in October.
It follows Woolworths’ decision to demolish the vacant Food for Less building.
Port Macquarie-Hastings Council general manager Craig Swift-McNair has been in touch with the assistant development manager from corporate property within Woolworths.
“He will be in Port Macquarie at the end of October and will be meeting with myself and the mayor at that point,” Mr Swift-McNair said at the council meeting.
Mayor Peta Pinson said they would discuss Woolworths’ future plans for the site.
She said the value in having some constructive conversation would be a win for the community if they were able to have an aesthetically pleasing and functional area.
“It’s been stagnant for far too long,” she said.
A report came to the September 20 council meeting in response to a question from deputy mayor Lisa Intemann about the status of the development application for the Food for Less building.
“Events have kind of gone past this and I’d like to think that the activity of council last month may have moved events along,” Cr Intemann said.
A Woolworths spokesperson in mid-September said in response to community concerns about safety and security of the site, Woolworths had taken the decision to demolish the vacant building on Short and William streets.
The demolition requires council approval.
Cr Mike Cusato said the building was probably one of the ugliest buildings in regional Australia.
“I would have liked it gone long ago,” he said.
The September council report said a development consent was issued in 2009 for the refurbishment of the former Food for Less building.
Internal demolition works have been carried out.
The building has been vacant since April 2012.
Community leaders have welcomed the demolition decision.