NSW holiday road toll climbs to 10

The death of a man in a crash on the state’s north coast has raised the state’s holiday road toll to 10.

Three cars collided on the Pacific Highway about 1.5km north of the Iluka turnoff just before 10am today (Monday 31 December 2012).

Police from Coffs/Clarence and Richmond Local Area Commands, NSW Ambulance Paramedics and SES crews responded quickly to the incident.

The driver of a northbound Ford Laser, a 23-year-old man, died at the scene.

An elderly couple, who were travelling south in their silver-coloured Ford sedan, were airlifted to hospital. Their injuries are not considered life-threatening.

The occupants of the third vehicle, a black Toyota Camry sedan, were unharmed.

Traffic in both directions has been diverted along Summerland Way. For up-to-the-minute traffic information, go to www.livetraffic.com

This morning’s fatal crash takes the state’s holiday road toll to 10 – five fewer than for the same period last year.

430 others have been hurt in 1351 major traffic crashes.

Extra police are patrolling New South Wales’ roads as part of the annual Christmas/New Year traffic enforcement campaign, ‘Operation Safe Arrival’.

On Day 10 of the operation (Sunday 30 December 2012), police booked 797 speeding motorists and issued 940 infringement notices for other traffic offences.

33,861 roadside breath tests were also conducted resulting in 37 motorists being charged with drink-driving.

Superintendent Bob Ryan from Traffic and Highway Patrol Command has warned New Year’s Eve revellers not to drink and drive.

“If you’re planning to enjoy a drink or two to celebrate New Year’s Eve then leave your car keys at home and take public transport or a taxi,” Superintendent Ryan said.

“Drinking and driving is not only dangerous it is a criminal offence and no one wants to start 2013 with a criminal record or, even worse, the thought they’ve injured or killed someone in a traffic crash.”

Some examples of irresponsible driver behaviour from Day 10 of Operation Safe Arrival

Some examples of irresponsible driver behaviour from Day 10 of Operation Safe Arrival

Some examples of irresponsible driver behaviour from Day 10 of Operation Safe Arrival

About 1.15am yesterday, an 18-year-old male ‘P1’ licence holder returned a breath analysis reading 0.156 after being stopped by police at an RBT (random breath testing) station on Spit Road at Mosman, on Sydney’s lower north shore. The teenager had two passengers with him at the time. He was charged with high-range drink-driving and breaching passenger conditions. His licence was suspended on the spot.

A 29-year-old woman was stopped by police after being spotted driving erratically on the Hume Highway, Campbelltown, just before 4pm yesterday. She later returned a breath analysis reading of 0.163 and was charged with high-range drink-driving and had her licence suspended.

About 8pm yesterday, a 26-year-old man was arrested by police after leading police on a pursuit in Sydney’s west. He’d earlier been spotted by officers doing burnouts in Newington Road, Newington. The motorist has been charged with aggravated burnout and other offences.

A 55-year-old man was stopped for a roadside breath test on Crown Street, Wollongong, just before 10.30pm yesterday. He was subsequently charged with mid-range PCA and disqualified driving after checks found he’d previously been banned from driving until 2035.

About midday yesterday, a 73-year-old Broken Hill woman was charged after being caught behind the wheel of a car – she has never held a driver’s licence.

Double demerit points remain in effect for speeding, seatbelt and helmet offences until 11.59pm on Tuesday 1 January 2013.

Operation Safe Arrival concludes at 11.59pm on Friday 4 January 2013.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide