LATEST COVID-19 DEVELOPMENTS
* Australia is set to reach the 80 per cent double-vaccination threshold in a matter of days.
* The population-wide coronavirus vaccine booster shot program could start in less than two weeks after the medicines regulator gave the green light.
* Fully vaccinated Australians will no longer need to apply for an exemption to leave the country, ahead of international border restrictions easing.
* People will be able to buy rapid antigen tests along with their groceries when they become available on supermarket shelves next week.
* Victoria's daily COVID-19 case numbers have reached a "plateau", health authorities say, two days before a further easing of restrictions.
* The ACT has reached the milestone of 90 per cent of its eligible population being fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
* The Queensland government is urging Indigenous communities to get vaccinated with low coverage putting them at risk ahead of the state reopening its borders.
* A leading epidemiologist has cautioned against fast-tracking plans for unlimited travel throughout NSW, saying it would be preferable to delay the move for a month.
* NSW Police issued more than 36,000 breaches of COVID-19 public health orders in July and August, when the toughest lockdown rules were in place.
AUSTRALIAN VACCINATION NUMBERS:
* There have been 34,828,566 doses administered in the national COVID-19 vaccination rollout up to Monday, including 227,994 in the previous 24 hours.
* Of the total, 20,385,665 have been administered by the Commonwealth (an increase of 159,237 in the previous 24 hours).
* 19,340,191 have been issued in primary care (+157,670) and 1,045,474 in aged and disability facilities (+1567).
* 14,442,901 have been administered by the states and territories, including 68,757 in the previous 24 hours.
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Australia reported 1848 local cases on Wednesday: 1534 in Victoria, 304 in NSW, and 10 in the ACT.
* There was one overseas-acquired infection in NSW and one in Queensland.
* The national death toll is 1666: Victoria 1065 (+13), NSW 562 (+3), Tasmania 13, ACT 8, WA 9, Queensland 7 and SA 4. Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states.
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Cases: at least 244,493,441
* Deaths: at least 4,963,243
* Vaccine doses administered: at least 6,852,950,580
Data current as at 1700 AEDT on October 27, taking in federal and state/territory government updates and Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre figures.
Australian Associated Press