LATEST COVID-19 DEVELOPMENTS:
* Australia has recorded 894 local cases across NSW, Victoria and the ACT.
*Thousands of anti-lockdown protesters took to the streets in Melbourne and Brisbane while a 1500-strong police presence in Sydney discouraged all but a small crowd in that city's CBD.
* NSW reported 825 new local cases on Saturday, the highest number of infections recorded by any state at any time during the pandemic and three more deaths were recorded.
*An illegal party in Sydney's beachside suburb of Maroubra has resulted in 16 positive cases while a funeral in western NSW may have been attended by up to 500 people.
*The entire state of Victoria is back in lockdown as authorities scramble to contain a rapidly growing cluster of COVID-19 cases in the regional city of Shepparton.
*Regional Victoria will be in lockdown until midnight until September 2 but these communities have been spared the curfew opposed on Melbourne.
*The ACT has recorded eight new local cases, with none infectious while in the community.
*Queensland has introduced a 'no jab, no entry' rule requiring only essential border zone workers who have had at least one dose of a vaccine to enter the state after it acquired zero local cases and two in hotel quarantine overnight.
*Western Australia recorded no new cases on Saturday.
*The Northern Territory did not record any new infections on Saturday and its Chief Minister has declared the entire state of Victoria a COVID hotspot, hardening its border.
AUSTRALIAN VACCINATION NUMBERS:
* There have been 16,815,098 doses administered in the national COVID-19 vaccination rollout up to midnight on Friday, including 310,524 in the previous 24 hours.
* Of the total, 9,851,490 have been administered by the Commonwealth (an increase of 185,452 in the previous 24 hours).
* 9,150,193 have been issued in primary care and 701,297 in aged and disability facilities.
* 6,963,608 have been administered by the states and territories, including 125,072 in the previous 24 hours.
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Australia reported 894 local cases: 825 in NSW, 61 in Victoria and 8 in the ACT.
* Eleven overseas-acquired cases were reported in hotel quarantine: seven in NSW and two each in Victoria and Queensland.
* The national death toll is 978: Victoria 820, NSW 120, Tasmania 13, WA 9, Queensland 7, SA 4, ACT 3. (Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states).
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Cases: at least 210,866,755
* Deaths: at least 4,415,276
* Vaccine doses administered: at least 4,871,013,907
Data current as at 1730 AEST on August 21, taking in federal and state/territory government updates and Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre figures.
Australian Associated Press