Senior police have issued a strong warning to anyone planning to attend any unauthorised protests planned for this weekend that they will face the full force of the law.
Deputy Commissioner Mal Lanyon, Metropolitan Field Operations, was joined by Minister for Police and Emergency Services David Elliott to put would-be protesters on notice.
Minister for Police and Emergency Services, David Elliott, said the activities of a few could have long-lasting and detrimental impacts to all Sydneysiders.
"The overwhelming majority of people in NSW are doing their bit to turn the COVID case numbers in the right direction and this proposed protest would undermine all that work," Mr Elliott said.
"We're temporarily living with restrictions that we all want to see lifted, but the mass gathering of a group of idiots could mean that day moves further into the future.
"I have complete confidence in the work police are doing within Operation Stay at Home and the operational plans for the weekend should reassure the wider community that officers are at the ready to take swift action against anyone not complying with the public health orders," he said.
As the NSW Police Force continues to monitor online and other commentary in relation to protest activity this weekend, preparations are well underway for a highly visible and mobile police operation to disrupt activities and prevent mass gatherings anywhere in the state.
After the 'freedom march' in Sydney on July 24, a 45-year-old Port Macquarie man was arrested on unrelated matters relating to an alleged breach of a Public Health Order.
Police will also allege in court that Brady Gunn, founder of the movement A Stand in the Park, was involved in organising an unauthorised protest.
The magistrate granted Mr Gunn conditional bail. He was banned from using social media platforms and will reappear in Sydney's Downing Centre Court on September 10.
A 'freedom march' brought together thousands of protestors for a mass rally along the streets of Sydney on last month objecting to the state's lockdown laws.
Officers from the Mid North Coast Police District were actively on patrol across the region on Thursday to ensure compliance of stay-at-home orders were being met.
What's happening locally:
Deputy Commissioner Lanyon said police are taking the threat of unauthorised protest activity extremely seriously and will not hesitate in the enforcement of the Public Health Orders.
"The Public Health Orders are in place to restrict contact and movement so we can prevent further spread of COVID-19 - getting the number of new cases on a downward trend," Deputy Commissioner Lanyon said.
"No reasonable person can think that a mass gathering in the current climate is in the best interest of the health and safety of our community - or our goals to get out of lockdown.
"As well as appealing to the sense of responsibility to rest of the community, I appeal for these people to see common sense and protect their health and that of their loved ones.
"I will state in clearest of terms: any protest activity this weekend is unauthorised. Police have powers under the Crimes Act and the Public Health Act to prevent this type of gathering.
"For those who make the conscious decision to participate in protest activity, you will come into contact with police and significant penalties apply."
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
Bookmark our website
Make sure you are signed up for our breaking and regular headlines newsletters
You can support us with a subscription
Follow us on Twitter: @portmacnews
Follow us on Instagram: @portmacnews
Follow us on Google News
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.