Detectives have charged a teenage boy over his alleged involvement in an armed robbery on the Mid North Coast last year.
Strike Force Kelburn was established by the State Crime Command's Robbery and Serious Crime Squad to investigate three separate armed robberies in Kempsey between November and December 2020.
- About 4.40am on Saturday 28 November 2020, a man - armed with a crowbar - allegedly forced entry into a service station at Lachlan Street, South Kempsey. The man left the area empty handed following an unsuccessful attempt to open a cash register. He was last seen heading along Graham Lane.
- Just after 2am on Wednesday 2 December 2020, three men - armed with knives and machetes - allegedly forced entry at the same service station at South Kempsey. The trio stole cash and cigarettes before leaving the area. They were last seen heading along Graham Lane.
- Just after 4.30am on Sunday 20 December 2020, two men - armed with a crowbar and a hammer -entered a service station on the Pacific Highway at South Kempsey. A female staff member was allegedly assaulted before the men stole cash and fled the area. The pair were last seen entering a vehicle parked nearby.
Following extensive investigations and a public appeal for information, strike force detectives, with assistance from Mid North Coast Police District, executed a search warrant at a home at South Kempsey from 7.20am on May 5.
A 16-year-old boy was arrested and taken to Kempsey Police Station, where he was charged with robbery armed with offensive weapon.
Police will allege in court that the boy was involved in the armed robbery on Wednesday, December 2, 2020.
He was granted strict conditional bail to appear at a Children's Court on Wednesday, June 9, 2021.
Investigations under Strike Force Kelburn are continuing.
What else is making news?
- Hello Sailor drops anchor on council's small business fee pain
- End of an era as CWA tea rooms permanently close
- Police investigate man's death after balcony fire in Port Macquarie
- House of the Week: Seclusion, views and opportunity
- Triple water spout action off Mid North Coast
- Jet fighter pilot hangs up his wings at 90 years young
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: