THEY came with shovels, bobcats, trucks and high pressure hoses.
There was even a car loaded with hot burgers for hungry bellies.
The flood clean up effort is in full swing across Port Macquarie-Hastings with hundreds of volunteers, tradies, neighbours and strangers pitching in to do whatever they can to get people back on their feet.
On Wednesday morning, the newly formed Mud Army hit the streets to help clear driveways, yards and homes of thick mud.
They were joined by Helping Hand volunteers.
Another crew from Port Pools By Design rallied the troops with six local companies and their employees all digging deep to support the clean up effort.
Meredith Howard said it was the least the local businesses while their own work had been put on hold.
Her husband Gary used his own equipment to clear Hastings River Drive of mud and debris earlier in the week. They were joined at Settlement Point by Ramsey Built Constructions, GTH Earthmoving, Ian Brown Sand and Soil, Hastings Valley Water and Aaron Lee Constructions.
Mick Ramsey said he has several construction jobs on the North Shore suspended because of the floods, so it made sense to utilise his manpower to clean up.
Lauren Taylor co-ordinated food deliveries for the volunteers.
She has set up the Port Macquarie Floods - Support and Volunteers Facebook page and local cafes and restaurants are able to donate food at their home base at 108 Settlement Point Road.
The Mud Army Facebook page co-ordinates volunteer teams to help clean up efforts.
What else is making news?
- Supporters back Kendall cafe's fundraiser to repair and rebuild
- Snakes on a raft: Fire crews battle treacherous flood rescue conditions
- Sponsor a box full of goodness an easy way to help
- Bread boat delivers baked goodness to stranded King Creek resident
- 50 harrowing photos of the ongoing flood crisis
- Surf clubs into day four of lending a hand in flood rescue efforts
- Hope Shop provides assistance to flood-affected residents
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: