An alleged assault on five staff at Port Macquarie Base Hospital has triggered a police investigation.
Detectives are reviewing CCTV footage as the investigation continues.
A NSW Police spokesperson said about 3am on Saturday, January 9, a 40-year-old man was taken to Port Macquarie Base Hospital under police guard for the purpose of a mental health assessment.
While receiving treatment, the man allegedly became agitated and assaulted five male hospital staff, the spokesperson said.
Officers from Mid North Coast Police District arrived a short time later and located the man walking along John Oxley Drive.
He was arrested and returned to Port Macquarie Base Hospital for further assessment.
No charges had been laid late on Wednesday, January 13.
The Health Services Union on Wednesday detailed a litany of injuries to the five health and security assistants affected including concussion, bite wounds, broken ribs, torn cartilage, cuts and bruises.
Security staff at Port Macquarie Base Hospital stopped work for an extraordinary meeting on Wednesday to discuss the matter.
HSU NSW secretary Gerard Hayes said the "act of violence" would deeply affect everyone injured and also those who witnessed it.
"Sadly this has not come out of the blue," he said.
"Hospital violence is increasingly common and more severe."
He said hundreds more security workers were urgently needed at hospitals across the state and they must be empowered to restrain and detain violent individuals.
Mid North Coast Local Health District chief executive Stewart Dowrick said the safety of staff, patients and visitors to NSW public hospitals was paramount and there was never an excuse for violence in NSW Health facilities.
A full internal investigation is being undertaken into the incident.
Mr Dowrick said immediate medical assistance was provided to five staff members involved who had also received ongoing wellbeing support.
"We continue to invest in our security services and in providing training to our staff in violence prevention and management strategies," he said.
There has been a statewide increase in security staff of 225 (full-time equivalent) or 23 per cent since 2012.
He said across NSW, $19 million had been invested to improve security in emergency departments at public hospitals.
In addition, more than $5 million has been invested to upgrade duress alarms for staff in emergency departments, which they are mandated to wear while on duty.
Mr Dowrick said NSW Health had worked with NSW Police to improve the protocols governing the handover of violent patients.
"The updated Memorandum of Understanding is now in place and local procedures for management of violent patients are being reviewed," he said.
The Health Services Union will meet with Mr Dowrick on Friday, January 15 to discuss members' concerns following the alleged assault.
What else is making news, sport?