A MOTHER and her three children, including a baby, were lucky to escape serious injury after their car caught on fire in the car park at Shelly Beach.
The family got out of the car just in time before it erupted in flames at around 4.30pm on Thursday, November 26.
Port Macquarie Fire and Rescue station officer Geoff Peacock confirmed no-one was hurt, but said the family was extremely lucky to get out of the vehicle when they did.
"A mum and her three children, one of which was a baby, were in Port Macquarie for a hockey game," Mr Peacock said.
"They were driving down to the beach before heading to the game when the teenager in the car said they smelt smoke."
Warning: There is a little bit of language in this video
Mr Peacock said smoke was coming from the air vent under the dashboard.
The mother parked the car quickly next to the boat ramp and rushed to get her children and baby out of its capsule. Within seconds of getting out of the car, heavy smoke and flames engulfed the vehicle.
"It went up really quickly. By the time we got there it was well and truly on fire," Mr Peacock said.
One fire unit attended the scene and the burning car was extinguished within minutes as shocked onlookers watched on.