GROUP Three Rugby League is still waiting to hear from clubs regarding plans to start some sort of competition this year.
The group met with clubs via Zoom conferencing on May 12 to discuss the logistics of football going ahead in this COVID-19 ravaged season. Initially the Group Three competition was to kickoff on Saturday May 2, however a shutdown of all sport around the world ended those plans.
Group Three chairman Wayne Bridge had hoped for some feedback from clubs by May 26.
"I've head a few whispers although nothing concrete from the clubs,'' Mr Bridge said on Wednesday (May 27).
"But at this stage we haven't even been given the green light from the government to play football,'' he added.
In April Group Three clubs overwhelmingly agreed to suspend all competitions this year, citing concerns about the loss of sponsorship, problems with policing social distancing requirements along with doubts over whether spectators would be allowed into grounds.
However, this was revisited after other sports, including Group Three Junior Rugby League, Mid North Coast Rugby Union and Manning Hockey Association, announced plans to start playing this year, albeit in truncated competitions beginning in July. All stressed that plans are dependant on government approval.
Group Three clubs then met on May 12 where the possibility of organising a competition was again outlined. The group was prepared to scrap all club fees for 2020 although players would have to cover their own registration and insurance costs for this year.
Mr Bridge said previously that if there is football in Group Three he didn't think there would be any enthusiasm to extend into October, meaning a 10 to 12 week season.
Thank you for valuing local journalism with your subscription. While you're with us, you can also receive updates straight to your inbox from the Port Macquarie News. To make sure you're up to date with all the news, sign up here.