FOOTBALL Mid North Coast and North Coast Football will press ahead with plans to conduct a two round Coastal Premier League (CPL) this year, even though a starting date for the competition has yet to be confirmed.
Nine clubs - four from FMNC and five from North Coast Football, agreed to play in the premier league in first and reserve grades. This is a first for football in this area.
The opening round was set down for March, however, this has been on hold due to the COVID-19 restrictions.
Football Mid North Coast chairman Mike Parsons said all nine clubs are willing to play a two round season followed by a finals series, even though this means a grand final in late October or even early November. He said both zones have been in constant contact on the matter.
Port United, Port Saints, Kempsey Saints and Macleay Valley Rangers are the FMNC clubs involved.
Mr Parsons said there are adequate grounds in the two zones to play matches into October, although he conceded some rounds could be played on Friday evenings, as double headers or on Sundays.
All other competitions under the Football Mid North Coast umbrella would be finished at the end of September, Mr Parsons said.
The two Port Macquarie-based clubs were reluctant to comment on the Coastal Premier League when contacted by the Port News last month because of the uncertainty as to whether there'd be any football this year.
Football Mid North Coast is looking at starting senior and junior competitions on July 3 and 4, however, Mr Parsons has stressed that this would depend on approval from the various governing bodies for community sport to resume.