PORT Macquarie Golf Club chief executive Daniel Constable has welcomed the state government's ban backflip on Wednesday that ruled the sport could continue.
The majority of courses around the state closed briefly on Tuesday following a tightening of restrictions to help prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
But after further consultation on Tuesday evening, the government handed down the news that clubs could trade again, under strict protocols.
"Of all the sports that could still be played, golf is probably one of the most suitable that can be played whilst adhering to social distancing, with a few modifications and appropriate hygiene," Mr Constable said.
"As long as the government authorities feel the healthcare system is coping, we are happy with the news that we may resume playing after advice earlier this week that play should cease."
Mr Constable, however, said the club would be active in monitoring the guidelines to ensure social distancing and modifications that are in place are being adhered to.
"Our biggest concern is that of the wider community and the safety of members and people within the Hastings," he said.
"Aside from the COVID victims, it will be difficult to measure associated cases of mental health issues and we hope the access to the course may alleviate some of that."
The sport has a reputation as being one that allows people across different generations the ability to enjoy being outside "without the need for a strong wifi signal".
"Out on the course, families and friends can build real connections," Mr Constable said.
The latest relaxing of current restrictions will not immediately impact on the Seaside Classic in July with the club keeping an eye on the number of virus cases around the region.
"All the club's major events are on hold until we see what the future holds."
The club will meet in coming days to consider whether golf will be able to resume in line with the latest government advice.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.