Firefighters responded to a call to extinguish a burning clothes dryer just after midnight at a Port Macquarie home.
Fire and Rescue Port Macquarie personnel were called to a residence on Bennett Street at 12.20am on Monday, July 8.
A clothes dryer had caught fire causing smoke and heat damage throughout the house. It was extinguished at 12.35am.
Port Macquarie Fire Station commander Geoff Peacock said it was a timely reminder not to leave electrical and heating equipment unattended.
"On arrival we found the clothes dryer was alight and smoke was throughout the house," said Mr Peacock.
"Residents asleep at the premises were woken by smoke alarms before our arrival.
"The cause of the fire appears to be lint which had accumulated in the dryer.
"We recommend each time a dryer is used, its lint filter should be cleaned out and not to leave machines unattended."
Fire and Rescue NSW recommends not to leave cooking unattended and to not overload power boards, ensure smoke alarms are in working order and to keep materials one metre away from heaters.
Fire and Rescue NSW Commissioner Paul Baxter said FRNSW recommends the community be vigilant and take precautions about household fire safety.
"On average more than 30 per cent of preventable home fires occur in the cooler months, with 60 per cent of these occurring overnight between 6pm and 6am," said Commissioner Baxter.
"Before you leave your house or go to bed each night, check that all your appliances are switched off and ensure that open fires have been fully extinguished.
"If we all do our bit to minimise the risks in our home, we can all stay safer together."
What else is making news, sport?
While you're with us, you can now receive updates straight to your inbox from the Port Macquarie News. To make sure you're up to date with all the news, SIGN UP HERE.