Family and friends of Abby Gillett say they are overwhelmed by community support for their friend and daughter

HAPPIER TIMES: Rod Gillett, and Abby Joy Gillett.

HAPPIER TIMES: Rod Gillett, and Abby Joy Gillett.

A great night was had by all at the Port Macquarie Golf Club, as friends and family of Abby Gillett thank the community for getting behind their fundraiser on March 11.

On the night more than $7,700 was raised from raffle tickets, auctions and in bar tips from staff who generously donated all tips received.

The total amount now raised for Abby and her family is now just under $12,000 which will be put in a trust for her children’s future.

Friend of the family, Roy Fraser, said that night was an overwhelming success and thanked the community for their support of Abby and her family.

“When I first found out about Abby it was devastating, but being good friends with her dad I wanted to do something to help and that is how our fundraiser night came about,” Mr Fraser said.

“I have been blown away by the level of community support with individuals and businesses right across NSW donating raffle prizes and auction pieces.”

On the night, patrons were entertained by band Dogs N Bones along with a number of local artists and raffles as well as an auction.

“It is hard for the kids to understand what is going on and because they are so young all they want is to play with their mum,” he said.

“I just want to say thanks to the generous Port Macquarie-Hastings community for coming out and supporting the Gillett family and help raise some money to help Abby’s children.”

The money will go towards helping Abby’s family raise her three children after she was found unconscious as a result of a seizure and left unable to talk or move. 

A fun loving, young lady, Abby was raising her three children, when 18 months ago she was diagnosed with aquaductal stenosis which is a blockage of the third ventricle that returns spinal fluid from the brain to the body. 

Surgery for the blockage was unsuccessful and after her third child was born Abby was found unconscious after having a seizure.

In the space of nine weeks Abby underwent eight brain operations and spent seven weeks in a coma.

Since regaining consciousness she has been unable to talk or move and, along with her three children is now under the full time care of family.

Roy Fraser also said that this is not the end of fundraising efforts to help Abby’s family.

“Donations are continuing to come in even after the fund raising night and we are just so thankful to everyone involved.”