Matt Banting confident his success will continue following third place at Sydney Pro

Going up: Matt Banting finished third at the Sydney Pro at Manly Beach on Sunday. Photo: Surfing NSW
Going up: Matt Banting finished third at the Sydney Pro at Manly Beach on Sunday. Photo: Surfing NSW

A DIET of pasta and lasagne was the key to Matt Banting’s Sydney Pro success at Manly Beach last week.

Banting progressed to the semi-final of the event before he was knocked out by eventual winner Deivid Silva.

He showed gradual improvement as he progressed through the rounds, eliminating Frenchman Maxime Huscenot and Brazilian Petersen Crisanto along the way.

“I was really happy with the result and I’ve started off the year alright,” Banting said.

But it was the cooking from his uncle that played a small part in his strong showing.

“Some of my family are Maltese so they were cooking pastas and lasagne which we had all week; we were pretty well fed down there,” Banting said.

Banting admitted staying in the positive surrounds of his nan’s apartment also played their part.

“We always stay there and she’s passed away now, but I always feel comfortable when I’m there,” he said.

The 23-year-old said he was growing in confidence at every event after successful campaigns at Boomerang Beach and Surfest over the previous two weeks.

“It was good to get that confidence back and beat some of the guys who have been surfing for the last 12 months while I was out,” he said.

“I had doubts last year that I would ever surf again and I didn’t know if the pain from the injury would ever go away.

“Having all that time off last year made me realise what I want and how hungry I am for success.”

After the first three events, Banting is currently sitting in the top 10 of the men’s Qualifying Series.

“I’ve got a little break now until I head to Japan in May,” he said.

“I now feel like I’m surfing better than I was before the injury and the feedback from the last two events at Boomerang and Newcastle is that I’m going really well.”