Port Macquarie-Hastings Council has given the green light to a development application to demolish the vacant Food for Less building.
Woolworths, in response to community concerns, made the decision to demolish the building on Short and William streets.
The supermarket giant lodged a development application for the demolition.
A Woolworths spokesperson said the DA to demolish the building had been approved by the council subject to conditions which required further detailed planning and approvals.
“We are confident we will be able to satisfy the council requirements and remain on track to complete the demolition within the next few months,” the spokesperson said.
“We are working with council on the future direction of the site.”
The demolition work must be completed within three months after it starts.
Notes to the DA consent show Woolworths has five years to act from the date of the application’s consent.
Erosion and sediment controls, as well as dust control measures, are required during the project.
The work is limited to between 7am to 6pm Monday to Saturday unless otherwise permitted by the council.
A management plan for the historic plaques in William Street and Short Street adjacent to the site is required as part of the conditions.
That needs to include a photographic record of the location and condition of the plaques and details of proposed measures to protect them from damage during demolition works.
The Food for Less building has been vacant since 2012.