Mid North Coast Girls Surfriders held their 2017 presentation at Rainbow Beach, Bonny Hills recently.
Members celebrated another successful year of surfing full of fun, friendships and fitness as they look ahead to their 2018 season.
Mid North Coast Girls Surfriders club values and focus is on promoting girls surfing in a non-threatening environment with full participation regardless of age and ability. Divisions include short board, long board and mini mal.
The eight divisions were all hotly contested last year, with only one or two points being the difference between first, second and third places.
“Our unique point score and monthly contest format enables our members to surf two rounds each month which encourages all our surfer girls to be consistent throughout the year,” said publicity officer Jo Astorini.
“Congratulations to Port Macquarie's Kelly Brown who absolutely carved it up in three divisions. Kelly won the Open Longboard, Open Mini Mal and Open Shortboard.
“She is an inspiration to all our young surfer girls demonstrating her ability to ride different size boards in all sorts of conditions.
“At our monthly competition Kelly competes in each division twice adding to a total of 6 surfs per comp. As well as surfing Kelly also mentors our younger girls in the surf and always puts her hand up for a judge.”
Rookie of the year went to Zoe Hedges, who began the year in the beginner girls caddy optional division where her caddy (dad) would push her onto the white waves.
“By seasons end Zoe was out the back past the breakers with the assistance from her caddy catching green waves,” Astornini said.
Other members that excelled and were awarded accordingly in their respective divisions were:
- Cody Newton for most improved in the Beginner Girl Caddy.
- Milla Seale most improved in Beginner Girl Caddy Optional.
- Phebe Lockhart most improved in Intermediate Mini Mal and Mel McLure in Open Mini Mal.
- Klaire Fallon most improved in Intermediate Shortboard.
- Julia Williams most improved in Open Shortboard.
- Leanne Hopwood most improved Open Longboard.
- Lisa Bulley most improved Intermediate Longbaord.
- Black Square Mini Mal Members Draw – Sharee Fletcher
- Lakeside Bargains Members Draw – Sharee Fletcher / Robyn Wallace
- Soul Surfing Shortboard - Lara Fletcher
- Club Person of the Year – Georgie Stewart
- Beginner Girls (Caddy)
- 1st Lara Fletcher
- Beginner Girls (CADDY OPTIONAL)
- 1st Zoe Hedges
- Open Shortboard
- 1st Kelly Brown
- Intermediate Shortboard
- 1st Halle Ford
- Intermediate Mini Mal
- 1st Phoebe Lockhart
- Mini Mal
- 1st Kelly Fyfe
- Intermediate Longboard
- 1st Sharee Fletcher
The club’s registration day for the 2018 season is on Sunday, February 4. It will be held at Rainbow Beach, Bonny Hills from 9am to 11am and will be followed by their annual general meeting which all new and current members are welcome to attend.
Their first competition day is Sunday, February 11 with a 7am check-in.
You can download a 2018 membership form from http://www.mncgs.info/ or on their Facebook page: Mncgs Nsw