IT started as a sombre Tuesday for two Telegraph Point residents. And by midday, the day went from bad to worse.
The couple were notified by telephone that their house was engulfed in flames.
The couple did not have the opportunity to say a final farewell to a loved one, receiving the call about their home just minutes before arriving at a funeral.
They lost everything.
Firefighters received a call at 11am to attend the Cooperabung Drive property where the dwelling was well alight.
The residents were lost for words and could do nothing more than watch firefighters try and save the property, battling the flames as they engulfed every part of their home.
In little more than an hour, 37 years of memories were gone.
“We left home at 10.15am to attend a funeral and we didn’t even get there,” the resident said.
Luckily there was no-one at home when the fire took hold.
“When we got (to the funeral) we had to come back home and saw our house well alight.
“It’s all gone.”
The timber structure was engulfed and nothing could be rescued.
“There’s no point going in there to try and rescue anything now.”
After the frame collapsed, it became apparent there was asbestos in the timber dwelling. Firefighters cordoned off the property.
Mid North Coast operations manager inspector Gary Duckworth said the home was destroyed quickly.
Inspector Duckworth said all the occupants of the property were safe and no injuries were sustained.
He said the Rural Fire Service had to obtain water from town, as the property was located on a dirt track and was difficult to access. Investigations are continuing.