STRONG north-easterly winds whipping across the Hastings coastline delivered the season’s first batch of bluebottles.
The stingers were washed ashore on several Port Macquarie beaches posing a swimming risk for those brave enough to dive into the choppy swell.
How to treat a bluebottle sting:
- Remove any blue tentacles stuck to the skin (don’t rub the area)
- Rinse the area with sea water (not freshwater)
- Place the sting in hot water (no hotter than comfortably tolerated) for 20 minutes to relieve pain
- If hot water is unavailable, or does not provide pain relief, apply cold packs or ice
- Send for medical assistance if symptoms persist.