A deep low off the Queensland coast is forecast to move south towards the New South Wales north coast today (Thursday) and generate heavy rain there.
There is a 75% chance of flooding developing in the following river valleys:
Onset from Thursday night/Friday morning:
1. Tweed River valley - minor to moderate flooding
2. Brunswick River valley - moderate flooding
3. Richmond and Wilsons River valley - moderate to major flooding
Onset from Friday morning:
4. Clarence River valley - moderate to major flooding
5. Coffs Harbor - moderate flooding
6. Bellinger and Nambucca River valleys - major flooding
7. Macleay River valley - moderate to major flooding
8. Hastings River valley - moderate to major flooding
9. Camden Haven valley - minor to moderate flooding
Onset from Friday night:
10. Manning River valley - minor to moderate flooding
11. Hunter River valley - minor to moderate flooding
A Severe Weather Warning for damaging wind and heavy rain is also current for the Northern Rivers, Mid North Coast and Northern Tablelands weather forecast districts.
This warning will be updated regularly as the event unfolds.
This Flood Watch means that people living or working along rivers and creeks must monitor the latest weather forecasts and warnings and be ready to move to higher ground should flooding develop.
Flood Warnings will be issued if Minor Flood Level is expected to be exceeded at key sites along the main rivers for which the Bureau of Meteorology provides a flood warning service.
Across NSW about 75% of Flood Watches are followed by flooding within the catchment.
FloodSafe advice is available at www.ses.nsw.gov.au
For emergency assistance call the SES on telephone number 132 500.
For life threatening emergencies, call 000 immediately.
For the latest weather forecast see www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/