Police attend 196 car crashes

Police are repeating their calls for motorists to take care on the roads and be considerate of others, as the Australia Day long weekend draws to a close.

On Day 3 of Operation Safe Return, officers responded to 196 major crashes across the state, injuring 55 people.

While there were no fatalities, police were left concerned by the day’s total being the highest recorded during the Operation.

“Wet roads and drivers not abiding to road rules make for a very risky combination; the consequences can be deadly,” Superintendent Bob Ryan of Traffic and Highway Patrol Command warned.

“Do the right thing by yourself, your family, your friends and other road users – slow down and take extra care in these adverse weather conditions. They are expected to worsen into tonight with heavy rain and gale-force winds forecast.

“It’s vitally important you also take a break every two hours, even if you don’t feel tired.

“There will be a strong police presence on our roads and motorists are reminded double demerits remain in place until midnight tonight,” Superintendent Ryan added.

Some examples of irresponsible driver behaviour during day three (Sunday 27 January 2013) of Operation Safe Return include:

About 12.20pm, police were waved down by a motorist following a collision between two vehicles on James Ruse Drive, Rosehill. 

The drivers of both vehicles underwent a breath test, resulting in a 54-year-old man allegedly returning a reading of 0.343. He was charged with high range drink driving and ordered to appear at Parramatta Local Court on 11 March 2013.

A 22-year-old female P2 provisional licence holder was stopped for a mobile random breath test in Mortdale about 11.30pm where she’s alleged to have returned a reading of 0.151. Her licence was immediately suspended and she was issued with a future court attendance notice.

Officers patrolling Queen Street, Campbelltown about 11.50pm observed a car allegedly drifting towards the gutter and then being pulled back harshly. Police stopped the vehicle and breath tested the 34-year-old male driver, who allegedly returned a breath analysis of 0.177. The P1 licence holder was charged with driving with a high range prescribed concentration of alcohol and not displaying P plates. He was bailed to appear at Campbelltown Local Court on 20 February 2013.

About 8.10am, police stopped a Toyota Corolla travelling upon the Pacific Highway, Duranbah – 20km south of Tweed Heads. While conducting a search of the vehicle, officers allegedly located about 3kg of a chemical believed to be a precursor to ‘ICE’. The two occupants of the vehicle – a 43-year-old man and 39-year-old woman – were arrested and questioned at Tweed Heads Police Station before being released pending further investigation.

Just before 6.15am on the Hume Highway at Bookham, about 30km west of Yass, a 29-year-old man with a Queensland learner’s permit was allegedly clocked at 170km/h in a 110km/h sign-posted area. He was charged with exceeding the speed limit by more than 45km/h and had his licence suspended in NSW.

About 9.40am, a 44-year-old male driver was allegedly caught at 171km/h in a 110km/h zone on the Hume Highway at Gunning, about 35km east of Yass. He was charged with exceeding the speed limit by more than 45km/h and had his licence suspended.

Officers from Monaro Traffic and Highway Patrol sighted a vehicle allegedly swerving on Lanyon Drive, Jerrabomberra about 1.20am. The 21-year-old P1 male driver was stopped. He’s alleged to have returned a PCA reading of 0.184, and was driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle.

About 3.05pm, Monaro officers sighted a man allegedly using a hand-held phone while driving on Morriset Street, Queanbeyan. After conducting checks, officers discovered the 19-year-old was disqualified from driving until September 2013. He was issued with a future court attendance notice and ordered not to drive. About 30 minutes later, the same man was caught driving again. He was subsequently charged and is due to appear in Queanbeyan Local Court on 25 February 2013.

About 9.30pm, Broken Hill Police stopped a Toyota Landcruiser near the intersection of Perry and Darling Streets, Menindee as its tail light was allegedly not working. The 23-year-old male driver was subsequently charged with driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle, not pay motor vehicle tax and displaying misleading number plates.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide