Extensive damage to grand old house

FLAMES engulfed the living room of what is believed to be one of Port Macquarie's oldest homes earlier this morning.

The female home owner was inside when the blaze began, but managed to escape uninjured.

Port Macquarie Fire and Rescue were called to the property on Gore Street at 8:10am this morning.

Unit commander Mark McGuire said details were being investigated.

At this stage, authorities had no reason to believe the fire was suspicious.

"The fires were confined to the living room area and the rest of the house was suffering from smoke damage."

He reminded residents of the importance of smoke alarms with the onset of the fire season.

Full story in tomorrow's Port News.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop