Web casts of council meetings still on hold

WEB-based followers of council meetings will have to wait until next year to find out if webcasting makes a comeback.

The matter was deferred for a second time on Wednesday night.

Port Macquarie-Hastings councillors will debate the webcasting matter in February when general manager Tony Hayward will present them with a report including costs associated with protecting the council's legal position.

The report will take into account the council's legal advice.

Deputy mayor Trevor Sargeant supported the reinstatement of webcasting. He said the legal report suggested the risks could be mitigated.

"I think we have a strong obligation to ensure as much information is available to the general public as possible," Cr Sargeant said.

"I understand in the past the webcasting hasn't been highly used but I would expect that will increase in the future as people's comfort with technology improves."

Cr Justin Levido questioned how the council could make a decision when it didn't know how onerous it would be to meet the legal requirements.

"I believe it's important to make the right decision and not a quick decision," he said.

"I believe we need to look at this carefully."

Then administrator Neil Porter suspended webcasting in July pending further information.

Webcasting monthly operational costs sit at $661 or almost $7000 a year without associated staff costs.

Meetings had been webcast since mid-2008.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop